FNG alert!

Welcome to Powder 365
Wicked Powder
My Location: Manchester, CT

FNG alert!

Post by Wicked Powder » Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:42 pm

Hi all,
I finally got around to registering so I can pick your brains when needed. 8-)
My name is Jeremy and I’m in central CT. I just turned 40 and have decided to see if I can potentially get a side business going from home to help with the bills. This idea started 2 years ago after I bought the Eastwood gun and started playing around with aluminum beer bottles. I was so impressed with the results I got with hardly any effort, and since I had successfully coated a SIX pack of bottles, I was now ready to go make a fortune :D
Over last winter, I mentioned to my neighbor that I was considering starting up a powder coat business and see if it takes off. He was eager to have me do some VW and turbo parts, so (since I am now a full fledged pro :? ), I told him I wanted to do some time studies, and I would do his parts for the cost of powder.
I again got incredible results with his turbo, intake, and brackets. The valve cover on the other hand went horribly wrong. I started reading on this site and learned about cast aluminum parts.... I learned outgassing procedures don’t always help with certain parts. I learned glass beads are not the correct media.... I learned the Eastwood’s gun has its limitations.... I learned how important grounding is... Etc... I had been humbled in less than an hour, and I am no longer a pro anymore :lol:
I was bit by the bug though, and I decided to just go for it. YOLO like a boss. Last year I built an oven in my small 2 car garage. Inside measurements are 3’ deep, 5’ wide, 7’ tall. Went overkill as usual and convinced the wife that I needed the oven controller from auber and she relented. My “cheap or maybe even free” project got finished this past spring... for somewhere around 2k. Lol. Due to some other summer projects I needed to finish, it has sat until a few weeks ago. Over the next few months I will be working on the weekends on my personal parts, and I have been acquiring various test projects of all kinds. I expect many setbacks and issues to arise, and that is why I have been lurking on these forums for the past few months. I read the entire “ what did I do to deserve this” thread and learned tons of it, thank you all for that.
As of now, I have 26 matching tumblers to finish and they will be shipped out to my cousin and his unit who are deployed in the Middle East. I had hoped to have them there as a suprise Christmas gift, but I ran into many issues. With your help and lots of reading, I have fixed them all, except one. I made the mistake of trying to hot flock some old Eastwood’s clear over one tumbler, and now I have an ugly texture that ruined it. That’s a story for another thread tho.
I work close to 50 hours a week as a technician for an ISP. This is purely an expensive hobby for me at the moment, but if I learn enough, and I have enough interest, I will go pay the money and LLC. If that works out, I can see ending my 20 year run with my employer and living the dream. If the need arises I have industrial garages and shop space I can rent within walking distance from my home.
All I have left to do is pound in a better ground for the garage, build a spray booth, and get a little better gun. I have work from friends lined up, however, I don’t feel ready yet, so I will continue on my own projects for the time being.

Hopefully that’s a thorough enough introduction, and I will continue my nightly research on this forum for the foreseeable future. Thanks for having me!

Crip75
My Location: BC Canada

Re: FNG alert!

Post by Crip75 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:35 pm

Well welcome to the powder world. I see it grab you by the electrode and put big $$ in your eyes. I wish you well on your endeavor, and remember keep it fun. Lots of great advice and experience on this site. Plus some really good guys. So again welcome, and good luck.
Do not believe all that is on the internet.

Mahatma Gandi

Wicked Powder

Post by Wicked Powder » Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:47 am

Thanks Crip! Yeah, I definitely got grabbed by something :lol: I love to learn new things. In just in the past few days of reading here, I have learned a bunch of helpful tricks. After this past weekend of working on these 26 tumblers, I can see some things will need tweaking. I was able to get the Eastwood’s gun to lay down a nice second coat without spraying hot, and was also able to rectify the back ionization issues I was having. I may go with a ez50 first instead of jumping in with a more expensive setup. I have the final 8 cups to clear tonight after work, and then I can send them off to Africa and get a decent spray booth made.
Thanks for the well wishes.

Bounce13
My Location: Las Vegas

Post by Bounce13 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:27 pm

I am in the same situation as you, got bit and I jumped right in. Built my oven 4x4x7.9 with the auber controller ( yah got roped into it also) but it works very good. I got a couple of accounts already and bringing in profit finally after all the start up cost paid for. The advice I got for you for whatever it's worth is go to some motorcycle and car shops and see if they have any old or bent/broken parts that you could have or get at a cheap price to use for testing on different parts and powders and for samples to show people, this way you dont mess up a customer's part and you more experience on different types of metals and shapes. Good luck

Wicked Powder

Post by Wicked Powder » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:35 pm

Hi Bounce, thanks for the reply. Good advice, thank you. Did you do double doors on your oven? I regret that decision on mine. Still fiddling with the controller, and slightly annoyed with it. I went with the 12000 watt with the lights and fan. I think something is screwy with the auto learn feature. The oven is taking way too long to recover after I open the doors. I can see the element power lights go on and off every 2 seconds. I feel like I’m going to burn out the ssr’s soon if I don’t get it worked out. I’m sure auber can assist, just haven’t had time to stop and call them yet.

In regards to getting parts to practice with, I have a bunch of different materials and thicknesses already, as I’m always on the lookout. I should stop finding things to coat until I clear the rest of my projects out first :D Due to my full time job, we have a fleet garage with scrap metal I can pick through. I’m also in and out of customers homes all day all over the state, and I can quickly build up a customer base as soon as I’m ready. I could have had a set of Porsche wheels in my hands last week but I’m just not ready for that caliber of work yet, lol. In time though!

Good luck with your business and thanks for the input!

WiseAssYT
My Location: Leaps ahead of you

Post by WiseAssYT » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:44 pm

Never coat anything you are not willing to strip or able to.

You will never really be profitable either that’s not to say you won’t make some money but as you go you will be reinvesting in equipment out of necessities , better air dryers , climate control , spray booths , the ability to wash and pretreat parts after blasting. Paying for the initial expenses , your electric bills , you can half ass things for a little but rinsing things with alcohol or acetone isn’t safe , storing lots of flammables in the home is dangerous for safety and health .
Be careful.

Wicked Powder

Post by Wicked Powder » Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:23 pm

Thank you for the reply, and I appreciate all the tips I have picked up from your posts. You’re 100% correct on the constantly needing upgrades. I expect that I will not be doing any larger jobs for many years. Biggest items I have on deck are a brush guard / push bar, a back rack, multiple truck bumpers and a few sets of wheels. Go cart and atv are awaiting me as well. Nothing serious, just all my things I have been stockpiling.

I learned quite a bit about starting a company from scratch over the last 8 years. I started and ran a small landscape company with my father while working at my full time job. Tons of work, and no time off. The moment we stepped into commercial work all hell broke loose with expenses, and it never ends. It took about 3 years of write offs and a good accountant before we started being profitable. Then when you paid off the 12k mowers, they would break just out of warranty. :roll: then you need to get a shop because someone opens their mouth... ;) we just shut it down this year so he could retire.

I don’t plan on going full time until I can safely make that transition, And only IF it’s worth it. Or.... I loose my full time job. :lol: Been there for 20 years. This is a long term dream, I have years of learning still. At my house I have no (proper) place for pressure washing parts, just the typical gearhead garage parts washers. I’m nervous about keeping b17 or the like in there until I clear it out, so that’s not happening. Haven’t started my research into the pretreatment realm yet, but I will when the time comes. I keep the chemicals I do have on hand in a steel cabinet as far away as possible. Fire extinguishers on hand Etc.

Hopefully I can get some input from all of you when I throw up the many questions I have, I truly appreciate all the help I have gotten here, just from reading ;)