Aluminum-safe degreaser

All topics related to stripping techniques
Largemouthlou
My Location: home

Re: Aluminum-safe degreaser

Post by Largemouthlou » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:29 am

I use formula 88 with pretty good results.. Granted I haven't put it on full blown grease but it cleanes all my bare aluminum very well..

Jay V
My Location:

Post by Jay V » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:27 am

Looks like Simple Green doesn't attack cast aluminum like the Heavy Duty Degreasers do - but it doesn't degrease as well either...

Anyone have a degreasing tank? IIRC, Steve (K-Series) was using Simple Green in a tank to degrease valve covers.

I have a greasy engine cover that I'm testing a few things on. Heavy Duty Degreaser smutted it, as did oven cleaner, but both softened the grease. Simple Green (sprayed on) wasn't as effective on the heavy grease but didn't darken the aluminum. I'm thinking of buying a quantity of Simple Green and soaking it (should be safe to leave for 24 hours if needed - unlike Heavy Duty Degreaser) but wanted to see if anyone had gone this route before.

Thanks.

Jay V

Harleydad
My Location:

Post by Harleydad » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:45 am

Coral rep told me to add some tsp to the simple green. You could try that.
I love my country, but fear my Government

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson

I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations - James Madison

Jay V
My Location:

Post by Jay V » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:24 pm

Harleydad wrote:Coral rep told me to add some tsp to the simple green. You could try that.
Interesting...Was it supposed to change the Ph?

Was Matt R. your rep?

Thanks.

Jay V

BURNPC
My Location:

Aluminum-safe degreaser

Post by BURNPC » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:03 pm

I use purple powder at about 2:1 water to PP. works pretty well, haven't noticed any attack on the aluminum engine case I did this week,
James Briggs - Owner of BURN Powder Coating.

Jay V
My Location:

Post by Jay V » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:09 pm

BURNPC wrote:I use purple powder at about 2:1 water to PP. works pretty well, haven't noticed any attack on the aluminum engine case I did this week,
Do you spray it on or dip in a tank?

How long do you leave it sit?

Thanks.

Jay V

BURNPC
My Location:

Aluminum-safe degreaser

Post by BURNPC » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:10 pm

I bought a cheap parts washer from HF. They were in there for over an hour,
James Briggs - Owner of BURN Powder Coating.

fallenauthority
My Location:

Aluminum-safe degreaser

Post by fallenauthority » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:43 pm

Something that works REALLY well is spray nine. I have used it on HEAVILY caked on greasy items and they come out sparkling clean. Safe on aluminum too! Spray it on, let it sit for about 10 minutes, if necessary agitate thickly caked on areas and spray off with water. I use a little electric pressure washer and it works great.
David Carroll
Specialty Coatings

john mariner
My Location: India

Post by john mariner » Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:57 am

If you will use a more concentrated or toughest degreaser it might affect the aluminum I am currently using Rx degreaser it works best for me on aluminium.
----------------
RX Marine was established in 1996 in Mumbai, India; as chemical manufacturing company catering exclusively to the needs of the marine industry. In a short span of 12 years the company has established itself as one of the leading wholesale suppliers of a wide range of chemicals for - Marine industry internationally - and other local industires and plants. Our client list bears testimony to this. The RXSOL policy has its foundations on two pillars of strength - a continuous investment in research and development to deliver premium quality products and a commitment to service.

-------------------
Degreaser