Where to source blasting media in Missouri?!?

All topics related to stripping techniques
Miz234
My Location: Springfield

Where to source blasting media in Missouri?!?

Post by Miz234 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:19 pm

I’m trying to source 100-120 grit AO with no luck. I’m having issues with seeing blast profile with 80 mesh garnet from tractor supply and 70 grit AO from harbor freight. My finish is laying out super smooth with my first coat, but I have to do 2 Coats just to cover completely. Any ideas? Blasting at 80-90 psi in a scat blast cabinet

red717
My Location: oregon

Re: Where to source blasting media in Missouri?!?

Post by red717 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:20 pm

Try this one.

Johnston supply
1435 North Nias
Springfield, MO 65802
(800) 400-3925

If they don't have what you need, try rental centers that rent sandblasters. A lot of times they sell the media also. Call some local coaters or blasters and see where they're getting theirs.
I use 80 grit AO (brown) in my cabinet and booth. For profile I usually go with 50psi on non ferrous and 65psi on ferrous. Depends on nozzle size When blasting for profile stay back with your gun. You don't have to be real close to etch for profile.
Possibly, you're not getting enough powder on to start with..thus the 2 coats. Do you have a way to measure mill thickness of your cured powder? Most powders like 2-3 mills. A good mill thickness gauge can be pretty expensive. Get some flat test panels and measure before and after coating and curing to get a "feel" for how much powder you're actually putting on. You can get a digital caliper cheap harbor freight amazon etc.
Eventually your abrasive will wear down and issue will be solved. Then replace with half old half new media will help some too.

Miz234

Post by Miz234 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:40 am

red717 wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:20 pm
Try this one.

Johnston supply
1435 North Nias
Springfield, MO 65802
(800) 400-3925

If they don't have what you need, try rental centers that rent sandblasters. A lot of times they sell the media also. Call some local coaters or blasters and see where they're getting theirs.
I use 80 grit AO (brown) in my cabinet and booth. For profile I usually go with 50psi on non ferrous and 65psi on ferrous. Depends on nozzle size When blasting for profile stay back with your gun. You don't have to be real close to etch for profile.
Possibly, you're not getting enough powder on to start with..thus the 2 coats. Do you have a way to measure mill thickness of your cured powder? Most powders like 2-3 mills. A good mill thickness gauge can be pretty expensive. Get some flat test panels and measure before and after coating and curing to get a "feel" for how much powder you're actually putting on. You can get a digital caliper cheap harbor freight amazon etc.
Eventually your abrasive will wear down and issue will be solved. Then replace with half old half new media will help some too.
Thanks for the quick response. I’ve tried Johnston supply. They only stock garnet and glass bead + their AO is $80 to $100 per 50lbs 😳

I have a set of wheels to do this weekend so I will back down my pressure to 50-60 just to etch the metal and see how that does.

duke46
My Location: East Coast NC

Post by duke46 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:42 am

I always use the extra fine black diamond that I get from TS and it does a great profile job. If your TS does not have it then they should be able to have some shipped to the store?

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/produ ... -abrasives
All I have said is said just for meanness so I don't have to argue with anyone!

http://www.pcitdad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Miz234

Post by Miz234 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:51 am

duke46 wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:42 am
I always use the extra fine black diamond that I get from TS and it does a great profile job. If your TS does not have it then they should be able to have some shipped to the store?

Duke what kinda psi are you blasting at to use the red label without leaving a heavy profile? I can get it at tractor supply but I believe my pressure is just way too high most likely

duke46
My Location: East Coast NC

Post by duke46 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:19 pm

Miz234 wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:51 am
duke46 wrote:

Duke what kinda psi are you blasting at to use the red label without leaving a heavy profile? I can get it at tractor supply but I believe my pressure is just way too high most likely
90 to 120 psi but I am not using a pot blaster but a converted pot blaster for a siphon unit. Even when we use the pot blaster and using extra fine sand and at 60 to 100 psi I never have any problems.

Powder will take care of a 220 grit sandpaper profile easy and is what I use if I have to sand and recoat a piece but not if I am having to polish out a small blemish.

I am guessing you are not putting on enough powder to start with is my guess and one other has said?
All I have said is said just for meanness so I don't have to argue with anyone!

http://www.pcitdad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Miz234

Post by Miz234 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:12 pm

duke46 wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:19 pm
Miz234 wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:51 am
duke46 wrote:

90 to 120 psi but I am not using a pot blaster but a converted pot blaster for a siphon unit. Even when we use the pot blaster and using extra fine sand and at 60 to 100 psi I never have any problems.

Powder will take care of a 220 grit sandpaper profile easy and is what I use if I have to sand and recoat a piece but not if I am having to polish out a small blemish.

I am guessing you are not putting on enough powder to start with is my guess and one other has said?
Yea I’m guessing I’m not as well. I just did some wheels with a light blasting with 70grit AO, powdered ambient temp with full coverage, then a fogging as well and still at flow out had the media showing thru, so did another coat with complete coverage and it fully covered media. I’ve got my gun set to the corners setting on my Wagner sprint gun with kv at 60 and Amps (?) at 45. How do i go about getting thorough coverage without doin too many passes and causing back ionization? I feel like I’m hosing it on there as is. Duke thank you for your time and guidance

Whitaker2472
My Location: Portsmouth Ohio

Post by Whitaker2472 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:34 am

If I run into problems with Wagner I turn the kv down about 10 from setting and turn powder flow up to 58. That usually does trick for me.

ZX10
My Location: 08302

Post by ZX10 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:16 pm

Garnet works great.

Miz234

Post by Miz234 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:36 pm

I have since messed with gun settings outside of just kv on the Wagner and there is a button that has three settings, one with a straight horizontal line, one with a more slanted line, and one with almost a straight vertical line. Above that has a cloud and charged particles inside as a picture. I’ve always used the bottom horizontal line as that’s what presets had but instead tried the 45* line and it seems to coat better and have less faraday areas. What exactly does that do?