Mill hot roll scale

Prep Topics, Pre-Treatment Chemicals
Jay V
My Location:

Re: Mill hot roll scale

Post by Jay V » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:49 pm

duke46 wrote: We media blast so flash rust is not a problem and gives you something to go by.

There is a product to stop the flash rust if you like spending money. Or DA sand it off with 220 grit paper.
holdtight 102

http://www.holdtight.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Do we think this is what Eastwood's Metal Wash is?

duke46
My Location: East Coast NC

Post by duke46 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:24 pm

Jay V wrote:
duke46 wrote: We media blast so flash rust is not a problem and gives you something to go by.

There is a product to stop the flash rust if you like spending money. Or DA sand it off with 220 grit paper.
holdtight 102

http://www.holdtight.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Do we think this is what Eastwood's Metal Wash is?
Nope on the metal wash. I have guys say it stops flash rust if used and I have also seen it slow down flash rust I think? It all depends on the metal. Better quality metal like bike parts do well with or with out the metal wash but better with it. Lower grade parts then it is a waist of time and product to use it. For use on blasted metal then it is a cleaner and a protector for a short period of time and that all depends on what kind of conditions the parts are stored in.

Holdtight is meant for a specific use and it is made to stop the flash rust. I have no idea as to how long it will do it and what needs to be done to the part after it is applied??? I would guess a good blow off dry and even a little heat dry and then ready for coating? A lot of its use is industrial where they water blast the parts and then paint right over them while they are wet using a special paint.

If one would do their damn research on it then one would see what holdtight is made for. But when it comes down to the metal wash then there is none I don't think any long on what it was used for except for what I know and I did that research many years ago and I think the company that made and sold it has been changed a few times and I can't find that info any longer. I have somewhere on 2 computers the info on it as to its make up and what company had it and who came up with it. That is the way I chased it down back then. Name of the people is still good but that is about it now. So what I tell you is what I know from way back. Eastwood would know if they had brains enough to relate and they are the only ones now that know where they can get it. I had to just give it up are start making phone calls and I saw no need at least as for as I am concerned. I know what it can do and what to use it for. :D
All I have said is said just for meanness so I don't have to argue with anyone!

http://www.pcitdad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

pcilse33
My Location: oklahoma

Post by pcilse33 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:37 pm

After the acid dip, rinse in a baking soda / water mix to neutralize the acid. Then rinse in clean water and dry. Stops it from rusting right a way.

duke46
My Location: East Coast NC

Post by duke46 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:58 pm

pcilse33 wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:37 pm
After the acid dip, rinse in a baking soda / water mix to neutralize the acid. Then rinse in clean water and dry. Stops it from rusting right a way.
If you are going to media blast it then who cares if it rust. But the Eastwood metal wash if used right after blowing the part of and then spraying it on and then blowing it dry will keep flash rust away for a good while if the part is keep in a good humidity controlled area.
All I have said is said just for meanness so I don't have to argue with anyone!

http://www.pcitdad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;