Linckote 3388np

Prep Topics, Pre-Treatment Chemicals
Whitaker2472
My Location: Portsmouth Ohio

Linckote 3388np

Post by Whitaker2472 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:32 pm

I have linckote 3388np spray wand conversion coating. Has anyone used this product or any of the lincoln chemical products. I’ve been just using regular sprayer for the stuff at 2% mix. And found out using tap water isn’t best option.

duke46
My Location: East Coast NC

Re: Linckote 3388np

Post by duke46 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:37 pm

Best to use distilled water I would say and it would be pure and may work better for you?
All I have said is said just for meanness so I don't have to argue with anyone!

http://www.pcitdad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Whitaker2472

Post by Whitaker2472 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:48 pm

I was using distilled and ran out so used tap water once. Never again. Just wondering what people think of the chemical or if used before

duke46

Post by duke46 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:43 am

I only use Metal Wash that comes dry and you mix with water and spray it on and then it right off. I think it even calls for distilled water and I did use it at the start but I would have to heat it up to dissolve the powder so I started using my hot water from my tap and never had any problems. Maybe it comes down to the quality of your tap water?

We media blast everything most of the time so all we need if needed is what I use just to make sure all media has been washed off + gives us more time to get it coated because it does have something in it that keeps steel parts from flash rusting if by some reason the part is ready but I am not ready to coat ASAP.

Whitaker2472

Post by Whitaker2472 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:52 am

I’ll look into that metal wash. I have after blast from EW also but usually use that for steel parts. This stuff have is non phosphate so might not be as good. Guess I’ll find out if anything ever comes back.

duke46

Post by duke46 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:04 am

The after blast as for s I know is I guess a pre-mixed liquid of the metal wash but not sure? I have been using it for maybe 10 years and it has always did a great job of keeping flash rust from happening and also cleans off the part. After I use it then the parts going into my old paint bay that I keep humidity controlled and have had steel parts stay rust free for weeks and months. I also use it on aluminum and it seems to work well.

When they first started selling it I remember that it said it left a phosphate coating on the part or something to that effect? I called the company that made the product that is sold to large coating and paint companies and the person told me that it had no phosphate in it? Not long after I made that call Eastwood did not have that in their description any longer? There has to be something in it to keep flash rust from happening but have no idea what?

For controlling flash rust I had looked into this product https://www.holdtight.com/ It is used mainly when a painting company is water blasting steel parts that would flash rust ASAP so it stops that and gives the painting crews time before they paint over the steel. It would also work for steel parts that were going to be powder coated and you have to wait till the part is dry or let a fan help dry or blow it off and put the part in a low temp oven for drying it off? The only reason I had looked into that product is I do have a small water sand blasting wand that connects to a pressure washer and if we had ever used it for blasting steel parts then we would have needed it. My son passed away and it was never used :( It might come in handy for blasting aluminum wheels and then dry them off and coat and not have to worry about flash rust ASAP like steel/iron is good for doing.

Oh well that is all I have to say I guess at this time :)

Whitaker2472

Post by Whitaker2472 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:43 am

This after blast that I have says cleans and protects freshly blasted metal with a zinc phosphate coating. Was under impression zinc was better for steel and iron phosphate was better for aluminum or maybe both work on aluminum then

duke46

Post by duke46 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:30 pm

Whitaker2472 wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:43 am
This after blast that I have says cleans and protects freshly blasted metal with a zinc phosphate coating. Was under impression zinc was better for steel and iron phosphate was better for aluminum or maybe both work on aluminum then
Zinc is good for steel and so is the phosphate but I have never used either of them. Some coaters do and most do not. A lot of the products or made for larger companies that do not blast and only deal with new metal as I have said.

The EW Metal Wash I use takes care of flash rust most of the time and also clean the part so that is all I really need and if by chance the part is ready before I am ready to coat then it is protected from flash rust and with what I have no idea????

Just use what you are happy with is all I can say. :)