HS02 Solenoid stuck

The things that help make your coating life a little easier.
SCOTTRODS
My Location:

HS02 Solenoid stuck

Post by SCOTTRODS » Fri May 20, 2011 10:30 pm

I have finally had my first failure in over 1.5 years, with my CC HS02 gun control box. I have heard of this failure and have some experience that made me dig deeper.... So I have put together a tutorial on a Fix, and possibly just maintenance for those who have the same guns.... this should (and does) apply to the PBTP HS02 also.

I've edited this to re-insert the pics, and to give a short explanation of what the solenoid does.

The solenoid, is nothing more than a valve, controlled by an electromagnet. The two wires going to the black box portion described later, are energized when you pull the trigger of the gun. The coil is inside the black box and it pulls the plunger (The part with the spring around, it shown later) up inside the cylinder that you can also see later, assembled and apart), unseating the plunger from the orifices in the bottom of the bore, which you can see has the two holes in the bottom. Referencing the pictures after reading this paragraph will help explain a lot.... now on to the Fix!

Start by unplugging the unit from any and all power. Remove all cords and hoses. Then start the repair by opening up the box,... NOt a tough one, Only 8 screws. Four on each end of the box as shown.
Remove the top cover to expose all the stuff you never want to have to see,... but this will be painless and informative for you and give you a better understanding of your gun's operating parts at least. It will look something like this, This one is my PBTP controller, the CC one had clear air lines inside, but the same solenoid,... so i figure this is going to be common for most if not all of them... the solenoid is the little black box in the middle of all the hoses.

You will find a nut on top of that solenoid valve.... it shouldn't be more than finger tight (unless you're a puss.... then use some pliers to unscrew it Be careful that you remove it and the little spring washer underneath it. ( one pic here, spring washer pic on next post.....)
Last edited by SCOTTRODS on Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

See photos of my work at
http://s244.photobucket.com/albums/gg6/terrellster/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and at http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001788886297" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
EMAIL scott@scottrodspc.com

SCOTTRODS
My Location:

Re: HS02 Solenoid stuck

Post by SCOTTRODS » Fri May 20, 2011 10:38 pm

Next, lift the black box part straight up off the lower half, being careful not to pull anything else loose. This could require cutting some wire ties or something like that, but I had no issue in either of my controllers lifting straight up.... It should just slide off, no problem. This will expose a brass section and a shiny, apparently cad plated, metal plate with 2 screws holing it down. Lay the black box with wires still attached, to the side wherever convenient. Nothing should be charged, so not much worry about personal injury in there for now....

Remove the 2 screws holding down that plate.... They're tighter than hell for their size so don't let your screwdriver slip or you'll be trying to figure out how to get a tiny assed screw out ... drilling and extractor notwitholding.... Push Down With a lot of weight to ensure your screwdriver is in and will not slip. If you don't have the appropriate screwdriver,... BUY ONE.

Another pic here - This is with the plate loose, lifting the plate off the assembly. Comes right off, no lubes or glues here.
Last edited by SCOTTRODS on Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

See photos of my work at
http://s244.photobucket.com/albums/gg6/terrellster/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and at http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001788886297" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SCOTTRODS
My Location:

Post by SCOTTRODS » Fri May 20, 2011 10:48 pm

The next part is where you need to listen carefully.... There are multiple parts that are assembled and will need to come out at this point. Lift very slowly and carefully, there will be some very minimal resistance pulling the parts out. There's an O-ring that's causing the friction.... be sure not to damage it! Just grab the top of the threaded portion and pull straight up... Here's a shot of the assembly on it's way out -

The next picture shows the bore, without the assembly in it. This picture is to show the little bit of stuff inside the bore more than anything... Apparently some ever so small amount of dirt, rust or something is getting past my dryer/filters (minimal filters on my set-up, I just don't seem to have many issues with it yet).

The next picture shows the assembly removed. It's laying as it comes out (if it didn't fall apart on you). The end with the spring has some crud on it as well as the bore it was in, so I took the pieces apart and cleaned them up,.... this is REALLY EASY unless you're getting some kind of solvent in your air. It just wipes off with a paper towel or shop rag.... It's next to impossible to clean out the bore without a Q-tip, so I suggest you get one and clean the bore too. Take the end of the Q-tip and hold the fuzzy part between two fingers and twist it to make it as tight as possible, and swab the hole. It's gonna unravel a little so starting with it tightened up is a good idea.
Last edited by SCOTTRODS on Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

See photos of my work at

SCOTTRODS
My Location:

Post by SCOTTRODS » Fri May 20, 2011 11:00 pm

Here's another picture of the assembly apart,... no need to remove the spring on the two I cleaned up. This one is kind of just to let you see what it was that fell apart a minute ago when you pulled it out of the bore.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

And here's what I got out of the bore with my tightly wound Q-tip (that unravelled to hell and back).

Now put it all back together... I didn't get a picture of the surface of the cylinder that comes out of the brass piece, but the part that faces downward into the bore, has a little rubber seal that you want to make sure is clean also, before assembly. It's pretty obvious what I'm talking about when you take a look at your parts. During assembly, also make sure not to strip out the tiny screws that hold the plate on the solenoid.... You may need to go in and clean the solenoid occasionally, and stripped screws will make it hell. Remember to only finger tighten the final nut holding down the black coil assembly.... The solenoid will operate fine without the nut and flat washer on it, but this keeps it from coming off if you pick it up to clean the controller box up.... or move it around or re-locate it to your new shop.

Hopefully this will help some of you out, instead of calling the place you bought the thing and them selling you new parts for something that can easily be handled by you and it can be done TODAY, and you'l be back at work inside 15 minutes. Simple Simple repair. I know I've heard of several people having stuck solenoids,.... the air just comes on out even though you don't have the trigger pulled.... It can cause you a shortness of breath when it happens. The air hose supply to the unit has to be removed to stop the powder from flowing when you have this issue.... so be quick about it and disconnect to save powder. And I do believe this will happen to a lot of folks eventually.

Enjoy.
Last edited by SCOTTRODS on Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

See photos of my work at

Dano
My Location:

Post by Dano » Fri May 20, 2011 11:12 pm

I was reading as you posted. It was just like having commercials during a TV show. :lol:

Thanks Scott, Now I think I can tear into my EZ50 and see if the solenoid is similar.
Dano.
Custom Plasma Cutting.
Serving Laramie, Wyoming since Thursday.
Droberts@ironpequod.com - (615)300-2882

ed1966ss
My Location:

Post by ed1966ss » Fri May 20, 2011 11:31 pm

Nice write up Scott. I'm assuming that when the solenoid fails the symptom is no air flow when the trigger is pulled?

RideIndustries
My Location: Canada

Post by RideIndustries » Sat May 21, 2011 1:53 am

ed1966ss wrote:Nice write up Scott. I'm assuming that when the solenoid fails the symptom is no air flow when the trigger is pulled?
The solenoid sticks open and results in not being able to stop the flow of powder by releasing the trigger.

Thanks for posting this, mine has been sticking lately and obviously needs a cleaning, just in time for it to sit on the shelf as a back up as I hop on the Gema band wagon with everyone else.

SCOTTRODS
My Location:

Post by SCOTTRODS » Sat May 21, 2011 9:49 am

Ride is correct,... what happens is the little bit of whatever gets in the valve, get's in between the "plunger" for lack of a better word, and the seat, which is the tiny little hole in the middle. This allows constant air flow and the powder won't stop coming, even though the trigger is not being pulled. It's stuck open.

Works like a Carburetor Needle and seat set-up, except it's sprung normally closed, and the electromagnet (the black box) lifts the plunger up to allow air flow. Mine actually had a small piece of "grit" in it also. Since one had the build-up in it, I took apart both and cleaned them. I "repair" a lot of solenoids at work, that are part of a 2000 psi water pressure system (normally), and this is almost exactly the same procedure I use on them, with only one exception, and that has to do with a special tool to remove the plunger assembly. So Simple even a.... well.... pretty simple repair I say. :mrgreen:

See photos of my work at

Crimson
My Location:

Post by Crimson » Sat May 21, 2011 10:07 am

I made this a sticky post for people.... great write up!

SCOTTRODS
My Location:

Post by SCOTTRODS » Sat May 21, 2011 10:51 am

Crimson wrote:I made this a sticky post for people.... great write up!
cool,.... my first sticky... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

See photos of my work at