Proper Grounding

The things that help make your coating life a little easier.
SCOTTRODS
My Location:

Re: Proper Grounding

Post by SCOTTRODS » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:39 pm

noreason wrote:Scott, you can always come and restore my 57 chevy 210 project that moves about one bolt a year.
Yeah... I'll put that in the Cue, Gio... :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

See photos of my work at
http://s244.photobucket.com/albums/gg6/terrellster/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and at http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001788886297" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
EMAIL scott@scottrodspc.com

glassbottlelighting
My Location: Wisconsin

Post by glassbottlelighting » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:57 am

The alligator clip on my eastwood hot coat gun broke on my first production piece..... there was a big difference between the powder attraction when attached to the stainless steel hanging wire and attaching it to the part directly. It broke when I went to shoot a second coat.... so the part was still hot, I just dusted it with powder from the gun uncharged. It came out with a textured look. I came up with a few solutions. 1, a specialized hanger with full contact bolted in place. 2, a large gauge grounding cord/plug that utilizes a 20 amp circuit. Here is the ground cord.

Bottlelighting.com

glassbottlelighting

Post by glassbottlelighting » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:06 am

Here is the nasty texture I got. You can also see the lack of attraction by some of the smaller tubes.

Texture:

lack of attraction:
Bottlelighting.com

duke46
My Location: East Coast NC

Post by duke46 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:44 am

Most all the guys do not use the ground that comes with the guns. They either cut them off or roll them up. They do work but not as well as having an 8ft ground rod and it connect to the bar you hang a coat stuff on.
Most units also come with a 3 prong plug so the unit is grounded. All depends on your wiring and how well it is done and the gauge of wire that was used and also how far away the breaker panel is and how well it was grounded and where and done by the power company.

I did all my wiring in my shop and installed an 8ft ground rod just a few feet away from my panel. The feed for it came from my house over 200ft away. Where I do all my coating is only 25/30 feet from my panel and all of it 10gauge wiring so I never had a problem to begin with but now I have added an 8ft rod just for my booth. So I am good with any thing I want to use.
All I have said is said just for meanness so I don't have to argue with anyone!

http://www.pcitdad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

glassbottlelighting

Post by glassbottlelighting » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:29 pm

duke46 wrote:Most all the guys do not use the ground that comes with the guns. They either cut them off or roll them up. They do work but not as well as having an 8ft ground rod and it connect to the bar you hang a coat stuff on.
Most units also come with a 3 prong plug so the unit is grounded. All depends on your wiring and how well it is done and the gauge of wire that was used and also how far away the breaker panel is and how well it was grounded and where and done by the power company.

I did all my wiring in my shop and installed an 8ft ground rod just a few feet away from my panel. The feed for it came from my house over 200ft away. Where I do all my coating is only 25/30 feet from my panel and all of it 10gauge wiring so I never had a problem to begin with but now I have added an 8ft rod just for my booth. So I am good with any thing I want to use.

That's my plan too... once the ground thaws. In the meantime, I just added 2 20 amp circuits in my garage that have about 30 ft from outlets to ground rod. The plug I made just taps into the outlet ground. Should be 100 fold better than the crapy 18awg wire on the hotcoat box.
Bottlelighting.com

phoenixcreations
My Location: phoenix

Post by phoenixcreations » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:58 am

So the rough texture can be caused by a bad ground? I always assumed it was by not enough powder

duke46
My Location: East Coast NC

Post by duke46 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:22 am

phoenixcreations wrote:So the rough texture can be caused by a bad ground? I always assumed it was by not enough powder
Your rough texture came from you dusting the part. You didn't have enough powder on it. If you could have got more powder to stick to the part while it was warm then it could have flowed out smooth unless you have some of the low cure 340 degree crap that I hate and it does not want to smooth out worth a damn. A clear over it might help but I am not pricing a clear for the jobs. My customers don't seem to mind and just want the parts coated. But I am the one that it bugs.
All I have said is said just for meanness so I don't have to argue with anyone!

http://www.pcitdad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

glassbottlelighting

Post by glassbottlelighting » Sun May 10, 2015 9:41 pm

I finally put in a dedicated ground rod! I have 3 strands of #14 awg (what I had laying around) going from the rod to a .5"x2"x9" solid bus bar. Figure I'll upgrade the gauge wire later. It's crazy to see condinuity between it and the ground in the house separated by 30 feet of dirt!

Bottlelighting.com

phoenixcreations
My Location: phoenix

Post by phoenixcreations » Mon May 11, 2015 8:49 am

I have a question, do you guys prefer solid single copper wire or stranded copper wire Attached to the rod? I currently have 6gauge stranded but was wondering if single solid would be better

powderpainter

Post by powderpainter » Mon May 11, 2015 8:56 am

phoenixcreations wrote:I have a question, do you guys prefer solid single copper wire or stranded copper wire Attached to the rod? I currently have 6gauge stranded but was wondering if single solid would be better
No ! Multi stranded wire has more surface area and is also more flexible .... It has to be moveable not everything gets hung from the same dedicated bar to be coated .