Proper Grounding

The things that help make your coating life a little easier.
phoenixcreations
My Location: phoenix

Re: Proper Grounding

Post by phoenixcreations » Mon May 11, 2015 9:14 am

Alright thank you. I was just wondering since I seen photos of ground set ups with multi strand wire and some with single wire.

duke46
My Location: East Coast NC

Post by duke46 » Mon May 11, 2015 9:59 am

I use #6 solid from my rod to my booth and then it connects to stranded so my clamp can move freely. Stranded connected to a ground rod can corrode in time and you will loose some of its grounding ability.

#6 is the most used for ground rods in electrical and Telco and CATV. And you do not see the type of clamp you used to attach to the rod. That one is made to connect to water or gas pipes. The proper one is an egg shape and is made of brass. It will be in the same area you found the one you are using. If you want to use stranded and something close to a #6 then solder the end up so that it is solid and also use an electrical grease to keep it from oxidizing over time.

I soldered the end of my stranded and then used a split bolt (lug) to connect it to my solid #6. They are also found in the same area. Then I connected a welding ground clamp to the stranded. I never clamp to the part. I use a cut down ground rod that is movable in my spray booth and then it clamps to it and then hooks from the rod to hang the parts. I also use them on my roll in rack and if the parts are heavy I connect my clamp to the rod on my rack and then coat. I also try to do and easy blow off of powder that gets on the rod and saves from having to strip the baked on powder off.
All I have said is said just for meanness so I don't have to argue with anyone!

http://www.pcitdad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

glassbottlelighting
My Location: Wisconsin

Post by glassbottlelighting » Mon May 11, 2015 10:01 am

phoenixcreations wrote:I have a question, do you guys prefer solid single copper wire or stranded copper wire Attached to the rod? I currently have 6gauge stranded but was wondering if single solid would be better
Something to keep in mind is electricity doesn't really penitrate copper so much as ride along the surface of it. But you need the thickness to battle the heat. I know we're talking ground so the heat isn't so much of an issue, but it might help understand why with higher amperage, larger strands are need. With the ground, you can get away with fine stands, just make sure there's enough. I like the idea of braided ground strap myself.
Bottlelighting.com

glassbottlelighting
My Location: Wisconsin

Post by glassbottlelighting » Mon May 11, 2015 10:12 am

duke46 wrote:I use #6 solid from my rod to my booth....

#6 is the most used for ground rods in electrical and Telco and CATV. And you do not see the type of clamp you used to attach to the rod. That one is made to connect to water or gas pipes. The proper one is an egg shape and is made of brass. It will be in the same area you found the one you are using. If you want to use stranded and something close to a #6 then solder the end up so that it is solid and also use an electrical grease to keep it from oxidizing over time.

I soldered the end of my stranded and then used a split bolt (lug) to connect it to my solid #6.....
Awesome! Thanks for the advice and the guidance!
Bottlelighting.com

phoenixcreations
My Location: phoenix

Post by phoenixcreations » Mon May 11, 2015 10:51 am

I'll have to go to home depot and get new supplies. I have noticed change from when I first installed the ground rod with stranded #6 wire to now. Now I know the corrosion is the blame since my rod is out in the sun. I'll change it similar to dukes set up.