Hanging Wheels

The things that help make your coating life a little easier.
N2950H
My Location: Seattle

Hanging Wheels

Post by N2950H » Wed May 17, 2017 11:02 am

I did a lot of searching on this forum for ways to hang wheels which eventually led to me trying this, and it worked out pretty well. So far I have only tried it on a motorcycle wheel though where the valve stem hole is in the center. I used 5/16" allthread and a heim joint conical spacer to make absolute minimal contact around the valve stem hole. I found that using a regular nut just left too large of a contact patch which may or may not be covered up by the valve stem. The conical spacer didn't quite go inside the valve stem hole so I hit it with my grinder wheel until it did.
s-l500.jpg
s-l500.jpg (2.58 KiB) Viewed 515 times
20170516_104221_resized.jpg
20170516_104221_resized.jpg (33.75 KiB) Viewed 515 times
20170516_115218_resized.jpg
20170516_115218_resized.jpg (34.83 KiB) Viewed 515 times

Steffe
My Location: Sweden

Re: Hanging Wheels

Post by Steffe » Thu May 18, 2017 5:52 am

Thanks for sharing this idea, it's all in the details. ;)

Harleydad
My Location:

Post by Harleydad » Thu May 18, 2017 9:02 am

Could also use an acorn nut (cap nut). Drill a hole in the top (closed end) for the all thread to pass through.
I love my country, but fear my Government

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson

I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations - James Madison

N2950H
My Location: Seattle

Post by N2950H » Thu May 18, 2017 9:14 am

Never even thought of that...great idea!

duke46
My Location: East Coast NC

Post by duke46 » Thu May 18, 2017 9:49 am

All depends on what you hang your wheels on as to how you make hangers. I hang auto wheels on my rack and it has 5/8" copper ground rods and the added piece to the hook keeps them from swinging into each other. The Allen bolt has been tapered so that powder gets good coverage around the stem hole. I use the cap to keep powder out of the bolt hole and remove it before they go into the oven.
Some are bent at an angle so I can hang larger wheels side by side on my rack. My rack is only 40-1/2" wide.

https://www.powder365.com/forum/viewtop ... f=9&t=1849" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Motorcycle wheels are easy to hang and here is all I use for them. I use #6 copper for hanging a lot of items.

If you are coating motorcycle wheels and this has been posted on here then I just use a piece of #6 copper and bend a real close eye and even grind the edges a little and it works great. Using the copper you can hang them any way you like. Also works well with go cart and any smaller wheels. The #6 will work on a lot of wheels. And easy to chemical strip them an look like new again. It will bend easy to start with and over time in the oven it will be harder to bend. I have used it to even hang motorcycle frames. I make them 4 to 6" long with the hook already formed and it will just slip into the hole and makes the wheel easy to turn and hang to way you like.

#6 will hold a lot of weight and #10 can be used for other items as well. I had posted a picture of the copper hanger but can't find it even in my save pictures? I must have posted it on Facebook at one time?
All I have said is said just for meanness so I don't have to argue with anyone!

http://www.pcitdad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;