Removing old powder from trolleys??

The things that help make your coating life a little easier.
Jasonx
My Location: Australia

Removing old powder from trolleys??

Post by Jasonx » Wed May 03, 2017 8:03 pm

Hi, we have a small powder coating shop in Australia... We have an overhead trolley system with trolleys for hanging off of... After multiple uses the powder builds up and starts flaking off. Is there any product you can put on the trolleys when they are clean to make it easy to remove when they build up? or is there an easy way of removing the baked on powder? We have a blast room but it takes way to long to blast 50 coats of powder off the racks????? Thanks for your advise

WiseAssYT
My Location: Leaps ahead of you

Re: Removing old powder from trolleys??

Post by WiseAssYT » Thu May 04, 2017 12:43 am

Jasonx wrote:Hi, we have a small powder coating shop in Australia... We have an overhead trolley system with trolleys for hanging off of... After multiple uses the powder builds up and starts flaking off. Is there any product you can put on the trolleys when they are clean to make it easy to remove when they build up? or is there an easy way of removing the baked on powder? We have a blast room but it takes way to long to blast 50 coats of powder off the racks????? Thanks for your advise
Find a way to wrap with aluminum foil and remove replace as needed, with heat tape or wire .

duke46
My Location: East Coast NC

Post by duke46 » Thu May 04, 2017 10:18 am

I would not want to have to do what it is going to take to clean them back up :( A chemical stripper may be your best bet and then finish cleaning by blasting?? But with that many coats even it would take a while.

Beside trying to use foil if that is even possible to do depending on how your trolley system is set up you may want to look into using a vacuum to clean it off before they go into the oven?

I have to do that on my roll in rack and vacuum off the powder in the track and the rollers before it goes in my oven.

Hope you come up with a good plan so you do not have to go through this again.
All I have said is said just for meanness so I don't have to argue with anyone!

http://www.pcitdad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

duke46
My Location: East Coast NC

Post by duke46 » Fri May 05, 2017 9:40 am

I forgot to say anything about burn off ovens and that is what a lot of plants use. Just something to look into.

Burning it off with a torch can be done but there are a lot of fumes when doing that because powder is a plastic.
All I have said is said just for meanness so I don't have to argue with anyone!

http://www.pcitdad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

crash32301
My Location: boise

Post by crash32301 » Fri May 12, 2017 12:52 am

put the trolleys in the oven and turn the heat up and burn them off that's what I do
Mark
Boise Idaho