Balance heat in oven? Help!

The things that help make your coating life a little easier.
jacob13217
My Location: Toronto Ontario

Balance heat in oven? Help!

Post by jacob13217 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:03 am

Hey guys so I have a home built oven. 4'x4'x7'

I have 3 x 3000w burners one on each wall at the bottom (with the exception of the door obviously)
I am over curing parts at the bottom of the oven. When I built I I figured, heat rises so having the heat source at the bottom will help balance it.

I think the heat off the burner is soaking directly into the metal and causing it's part temperature to climb faster than the air at the top parts because the bottom parts are so close to the burners.

I am doubtful that a convection blower (pumping heat from the bottom to the top) will solve the issue.
Should I use heat shields to shield the elements? Or perhaps both? Any help is appreciated.

WiseAssYT
My Location: Leaps ahead of you

Re: Balance heat in oven? Help!

Post by WiseAssYT » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:44 am

jacob13217 wrote:Hey guys so I have a home built oven. 4'x4'x7'

I am doubtful that a convection blower (pumping heat from the bottom to the top) will solve the issue.
Should I use heat shields to shield the elements? Or perhaps both? Any help is appreciated.
Do Both ! You want vented shields not just a solid metal shield, you'd be surprised what a fan can do

Easy to be doubtful when you don't know any better

jacob13217

Post by jacob13217 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:12 pm

Thanks for the input!

I'll laser cut some vented shields. What are some opinions on just a little stainless convection fan moving air around vs a duct sucking from the bottom and blowing in the top?
My concern would be dirt on gelling parts?

I know you would have to do the calculations and size things accordingly so you don't have a whirlwind but if it's not filtered very well I don't know if it's a great idea to dump that air through the top ?

Thanks again

WiseAssYT
My Location: Leaps ahead of you

Post by WiseAssYT » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:34 pm

http://www.electricmotorwarehouse.com/d ... swodClcCnA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A fan like this , the air will only be as dirty as the oven itself. You don't have any air coming in , it would just be circulating air. If the air blows to hard put a shield on it , but I would spilt the duct and dump it at the bottom from both sides for even heat.

You take the heat from the top and dump it back to the bottom. Debris will push to corners,Hopefully lol.

duke46
My Location: East Coast NC

Post by duke46 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:41 am

When I added the 3rd element to the bottom of my oven I found out if a part hung to low it could burn very easy. I happened to have a louvered top of a oven broiler pan and mounted it like 1/4 or 1/2" above the element and that took care of the problem.

My oven builder had installed a small fan at my request when he built mine. All I had to do was use a normal light rheostat to slow it down. I had already added shields over the elements mounted on the sides of it. The little fan just moved enough air to help the oven heat more evenly. Cost outlay maybe $100? Grainger has the motors and the fan or at least they did. You would have to extend the shaft a couple of inches for it to make it through your wall. That is what a few guys have added to their ovens and really helped them out.

This post was before the extra element and the shields. There is info on the motor and blade.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1543&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
All I have said is said just for meanness so I don't have to argue with anyone!

http://www.pcitdad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jacob13217

Post by jacob13217 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:15 pm

Great information!
Thanks to all who replied.

My laser cut "grilles" for the elements are on their way and I've ordered a fan. Hope it works out!
I'll update as I go!

plain ol Bill
My Location:

Post by plain ol Bill » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:45 pm

I'm interested in what your "grille's" look like. Would you post up a pic of them or PM one to me please.