How many use this technique?

The things that help make your coating life a little easier.
pavetim
My Location: japan

How many use this technique?

Post by pavetim » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:50 pm

I don't remember where I read it. Either on here or on Cashwell. But in a training manual he says a technique that works great is to do your coating and cure till it starts to flow, then do a quick light coat while it's hot. He claims this will make it look like glass every time. Would definitely prefer not pulling it out of the oven but I usually do anyways to check for light or missed spots right after it flows out.

duke46
My Location: East Coast NC

Re: How many use this technique?

Post by duke46 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:39 pm

A lot of guys do that. They look for light spots and then shoot another coat. To do that you have to have a good setup and helps to have anther person to close the oven back up. All also depends on where the oven is located and where you apply your powder. Doing say one wheel or maybe two at a time might be fine. I like trying to get it right the first time :D But I have screwed up in the past and pulled all 4 out and realized I screwed up and before they cool all the way down shoot them again and back in the oven.

For the guys that do that on a regular basics I would like to see their set up. I really can't change mine very well so I live with it. Some may also pull them out and then shoot say the faces right it front of their oven and then roll them back in. But over time that will add a lot of loose powder in you area that you have to deal with. I have done that before but really didn't like doing it that way. Good way to powder coat your door HA HA. You just have to get your timing right and the powder on the part at the correct time so that what you do all flows out smooth. Wait to long then other parts of the wheel will look grainy because it didn't flow out like it should. You have to get the flow out timing down to a science.
All I have said is said just for meanness so I don't have to argue with anyone!

http://www.pcitdad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MatadorMkV
My Location: Pennsylvania

Post by MatadorMkV » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:30 pm

I've done this quite a few times especially with gloss black. Just be careful. It's easy to apply too much powder and end up with runs and sags...depending on the shape of the part, sharp edges, etc. If you let the part cool, you'll lessen the chance of this.

Whatever you do (and I'm sure you already know this) don't let the part in the oven too long and expect to take it out and dust it. You'll get a nasty over spray look.

Also, remember that the more you mess with taking the part out of the oven, the more you will increase the likelihood of attracting airborne dust, lint, fuzz, and flying insects.

TorksPerformance
My Location: Crawford Tx

Post by TorksPerformance » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:18 pm

I do it almost all the time on Wheels going gloss black. I'll shoot the wheels throw them in the oven about 180-200pmt i'll pull them out grab my handy LED light and hit the light spots. works like a charm. i do hate messing with them though because what was mentioned earlier dust,lint. hell last summer i pull out a set of wheels to let them cool down before shipping them off. came back out from the office and has a dang june bug stuck in one lol :lol: