Powder Puffing and Surging

The things that help make your coating life a little easier.
Lotos
My Location: Russia

Powder Puffing and Surging

Post by Lotos » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:18 pm

I have a very chronic issue at our Automatic powder spray booth (ColorMax from Nordson). Guns have a chronic burp, spit or surge and it's causing heavy rejects. I have surface blemishes as uneven film thickness on parts. It sometimes is from 90 to130 microns. It is impossible for me. I have checked vacuum on pumps HDLV. It was from -40 to -60 bar(I have 12 guns). it is ok, because guns don`t work the same time. I think so. Also, I have replaced fan spray nozzles and i checked electrode assembly on these guns. I will check fluidized tubes of pumps, but it isn't reasons, because vacuum wouldn't be ok. I use three colors and three of individual feed hoper, but I use the same settings of guns for three colors, perhaps the settings must be individual.
Can you just advise me what critical item we are missing to fix this issue?

duke46
My Location: East Coast NC

Re: Powder Puffing and Surging

Post by duke46 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:55 pm

The only time I have had that happen on my old Gema Manual one. Was one of the lines from the pump to the unit was getting loose and lucky for me when I disconnected them from the pump and let them drop down it fell out of the back. All was fine after that. So just start checking all connections between the pump and your controller and the powder feeding the gun/guns.
Best of luck and I don't think there is anyone on the forum that deals with automatic ones? A manual one maybe?
All I have said is said just for meanness so I don't have to argue with anyone!

http://www.pcitdad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

WiseAssYT
My Location: Leaps ahead of you

Re: Powder Puffing and Surging

Post by WiseAssYT » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:44 am

Lotos wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:18 pm
I have a very chronic issue at our Automatic powder spray booth (ColorMax from Nordson). Guns have a chronic burp, spit or surge and it's causing heavy rejects. I have surface blemishes as uneven film thickness on parts. It sometimes is from 90 to130 microns. It is impossible for me. I have checked vacuum on pumps HDLV. It was from -40 to -60 bar(I have 12 guns). it is ok, because guns don`t work the same time. I think so. Also, I have replaced fan spray nozzles and i checked electrode assembly on these guns. I will check fluidized tubes of pumps, but it isn't reasons, because vacuum wouldn't be ok. I use three colors and three of individual feed hoper, but I use the same settings of guns for three colors, perhaps the settings must be individual.
Can you just advise me what critical item we are missing to fix this issue?

Powders have different gravities/weight and running all 3 at the same settings is foolish.

The answer you seek you answered yourself.

I will also add that if your fluidizing air is to hi it will force powder up the pickup tube and surge out of the hose and gun to clear itself. The air has to go somewhere