earthing issue

Steevo
My Location: scotland

earthing issue

Post by Steevo » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:22 am

I have a problem relating to earthing, i have concrete floor and its about probably 50 or more feet until i reach a place that has soil. My question is this, can i grind back the paint on 1 of my supporting beams within my factory and use that as an earth? how can i test that it is getting a good earth?

Any help or advice would be much appreciated thanks.

Harleydad
My Location:

Re: earthing issue

Post by Harleydad » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:06 am

How thick is the concrete floor? You could drill through it. Another option is a water supply line. If you have access to a megohmmeter (or an electrician with one), that's the best way to check it.
I love my country, but fear my Government

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson

I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations - James Madison

duke46
My Location: East Coast NC

Post by duke46 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:47 am

Your building may be grounded but would not be all that good for what you are needing. How far away are you from where your power comes in?

A lot of guys will drill a hole but it needs to be large enough for you to keep the ground moist because the soil is dryer than it would be on the outside of your place.

For years I just used the ground on my electric outlet but connected to the ground inside it. It worked fine but I was lucky I guess?
All I have said is said just for meanness so I don't have to argue with anyone!

http://www.pcitdad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Steevo
My Location: scotland

Post by Steevo » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:10 pm

thanks for advise guys. the reason why i ask is because i have a problem with 2nd coats unless i hot coat it. if i do it cold the 2nd coat goes on like patchy? and candys are a nightmare.

I think ill buy a megometer. id rather be sure that i have best earth connection i can achieve.

The concrete is 6 inch thick but has a few feet of type 1 compacted underneath it. i recon getting a copper bar through that is gonna be near impossible. I will however check the main earth on the incoming power. im sure the 3 phase. neutral and earth have there own buzbars within the main box. so would i just connect directly to that earth?

P.S i know what i am doin around 3 phase power so dont panic lol.

Out of interest. if i had to drive a copper grounding rod into the soil outside my factorys grounds would it affect the earth if the wire connecting it to my hanger was very long?

duke46
My Location: East Coast NC

Post by duke46 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:26 am

If you drive an 8' rod outside then I would use at least a #6 covered solid wire for the ground + use the proper acorn style brass connector for it. If you use a stranded wire then make sure the ends or soldered for the best ground.

Once you price a megger then you will change your mind on buying one. You have to buy the one that is for ground testing. Any company that installs ground rods should have one and power companies should also one maybe?

I do not know any thing about 3 phase panels or wiring except there are two hot wires and a neutral but there has to be a ground somewhere. Where the ground is connected to a rod outside would be the best place to connect as long as you leave the main ground in place? I do not think it would be a good idea to go inside your panel to add a ground.

Some powder coating guns do not always want to apply a second coat and other guys have also had to heat up their parts. I have used the cheap to the top line of guns and could always do 2 or 3 coats even before I place a rod.

What gun are you using?
All I have said is said just for meanness so I don't have to argue with anyone!

http://www.pcitdad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ed1966ss
My Location:

Post by ed1966ss » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:11 am

You don't mention what type gun you are using or your setup, piece work or an automated line. Probably an obvious statement is that the biggest difference between a pro gun and a hobby gun is powder attraction. If your environment is good then the hobby guns can often do an acceptable job, even on multicoats. I've used a Parker for years now and I can't recall the number of times I've coated parts without connecting the ground wire and didn't notice a difference in powder attraction.

Depending on your soil conditions the earth below your concrete slab may stay moist and provide a good earth ground. Mines in roughly the center of my 2400 sq ft shop and functions well. Rocky or sandy soil probably dries quicker than areas containing mostly clay. For years I used the electrical service panel ground and it worked fine for me. Not everyone agrees on the best method but IMO there are multiple factors involved, gun, soil conditions, etc.