Cup gun upgrade.

juicegoose
My Location: houston

Cup gun upgrade.

Post by juicegoose » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:50 am

I shoot smaller items and so a pound of powder last me a while. I also change colors a lot so i have around 30 of the spare cups and have gotten real quick at changing colors. I have typically been spraying single colors so my eastwood cup gun has been fine, although it has it's short comings for sure. It's super easy to switch colors which is exactly what I need. Problem is it's doesn't throw down a second coat for junk. I have 20' of #8 stranded copper wire connected to the ground rod that was installed for my house. At my booth i have some bare #12 wire routed on top of the wooden structure and it drops down in two spots for hooks. The #8 clamps to the #12 hooks with alligator clip. I hold the parts with metal hemostats(the locking medical style little pliers). I'm wanting to upgrade and it seems like the ez50 is really my only option for good cup gun out there. I noticed kool coat has the vortex cup but i think that as often as I change colors it might prove to be futile. Plus it's damn near 1k compared to the ez50 350-400.

Is there anything else out there that would be a step up from the eastwood or ez50 to shoot small parts and offer quick color change?

duke46
My Location: East Coast NC

Re: Cup gun upgrade.

Post by duke46 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:39 pm

The EZ 50 should work very well for you without any problems. If you do buy one then make sure you get the air fitting for it. They are made in Canada and US fittings will not work with them. It uses a metric threaded one if correct and they are not found in the US and have to be ordered.

This will give you the info you need.
http://powder365.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12677
All I have said is said just for meanness so I don't have to argue with anyone!

http://www.pcitdad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

juicegoose

Post by juicegoose » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:57 pm

Thanks Duke, I figured you would be the first reply hahahah. What keeps me from ordering the ez has been people talking about how they don't last long at all.

Thanks for the link as well.
Do you see anything wrong with my ground setup that could be attributing to the issue?

Side note I have noticed that i actually get more attraction to the part when i'm holding the clamp instead of hanging it. Yes i know it's bad juju and i don't do it on a regular basis it's just something I've noticed. I wear shoes and stand on an antifatigue mate so i figured it wouldn't attract well but it does. Just more info.

duke46

Post by duke46 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:31 am

I really don't remember any guys saying the EZ was not holding up all that well? Some have had problems and it could have been gun related and some have been ground problems.

As for as your grounding then I am not real sure about? Most guys have a rod that is grounded and they hang parts on. Most every one has a dedicated ground rod but that is not always easy for some to do. For years all I used was my outlet ground in my shop before I installed one just for my booth. I never saw any change. I am trying to visualize what you are doing and not sure if I really understand??? I at one time used a EW gun like you have and used it for shooting an acrylic clear only and over 1 or even 2 coats of powder and never had any problems. The key is making sure you have a clean ground location. Most of the time that is what causes guys problems but not always. Some guys just heat the part up and then shoot their 2nd coat. I would go no higher than 200 and that way you do not over apply it.

I use volt/ohm meter to check my grounding when needed. The ones I use have a buzzer/tone and I will check between the part and ground and if it buzzes then good to go. Some of them have a louder one and very easy to hear and some not so much. Some have no buzzer so you set it on low ohms and then look for a 0 or INF reading.

High humidity and temps can also play a big part with any coater and can cause problems. I often wonder how some guys can even turn out nice work because of the conditions they coat in?

juicegoose

Post by juicegoose » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:03 pm

Thanks again Duke. Maybe this will help

Typical two car garage.
Ground rod on outside wall that house panel is connected to.
Powdercoat booth is on opposite wall.
#8 stranded and coated ground wire clamped to exterior ground rod and then routed across garage.
End of wire has large alligator clip installed.
Above my booth I have some bare #12 wire that j hooked through holes and the alligotor clip connects to it.
Part hangs off hook.

MatadorMkV
My Location: Pennsylvania

Post by MatadorMkV » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:01 am

Pretty sure the EZ50 is made in India by Redline. I've had mine for about 3 years. I think the "new" style (red in color) EZ50 is maybe built a bit better than the black one that I have. The case seems to be molded better and it has a nicer hanging hook set up. Parts in the "old" style EZ tend to come loose and rattle...something that was supposed to be addressed in the new version.

I really like mine, but I don't think it's the best choice for multiple coats. I use it as a back up gun, or if I have a small part to shoot in a different color than what's in my hoppers at the time.

duke46

Post by duke46 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:49 am

juicegoose wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:03 pm
Thanks again Duke. Maybe this will help

Typical two car garage.
Ground rod on outside wall that house panel is connected to.
Powdercoat booth is on opposite wall.
#8 stranded and coated ground wire clamped to exterior ground rod and then routed across garage.
End of wire has large alligator clip installed.
Above my booth I have some bare #12 wire that j hooked through holes and the alligotor clip connects to it.
Part hangs off hook.
Sounds like that should work fine I guess. What kind of soil do you have where your ground rod is installed? And by chance does rain water get to it? Your area should be plenty wet I bet with the way that place floods but I know nothing about the soil there.

duke46

Post by duke46 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:57 am

MatadorMkV wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:01 am
Pretty sure the EZ50 is made in India by Redline. I've had mine for about 3 years. I think the "new" style (red in color) EZ50 is maybe built a bit better than the black one that I have. The case seems to be molded better and it has a nicer hanging hook set up. Parts in the "old" style EZ tend to come loose and rattle...something that was supposed to be addressed in the new version.

I really like mine, but I don't think it's the best choice for multiple coats. I use it as a back up gun, or if I have a small part to shoot in a different color than what's in my hoppers at the time.
Beside my old Gema I coat 98% of what I do with an Eastwood Pro that is not sold any longer. It is made on the order of the EZ50 but is only a 25k and the 50 I think puts out 50K? I have never had any problems even doing 3 or 4 coats with it and I would think the 50 should do as well if not better? Before the 50 came out they had the EZ35 and one of our guys did a lot of coating with it until it just wore the hell out. I never once heard him complain about it.

juicegoose

Post by juicegoose » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:30 pm

Thanks guys. I'll try again this weekend on getting the second coat on good. any tips when using the EW gun?

duke46

Post by duke46 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:31 pm

juicegoose wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:30 pm
Thanks guys. I'll try again this weekend on getting the second coat on good. any tips when using the EW gun?
Back up a little where I ask about what type of soil do you have.