Cling Wrap

tbucket
My Location: USA

Cling Wrap

Post by tbucket » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:51 pm

I had a few powder coated parts wrapped in cling wrap that were left outside in the hot sun and the cling wrap dried up and caked it self to the parts. Any idea how to get it off with out ruining the finished powder coating? Iv tried washing with soap and water, rubbing alcohol, heating with a hair drier and car wax and nothing has worked to well. Or am I SOL and need to blast and recoat the parts?
Thanks

Jay V
My Location:

Re: Cling Wrap

Post by Jay V » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:34 pm

If you are saying the wrap left marks in the powder after it was removed, I would say pop it in the oven at 250/300 or so and see if it will re-flow and get rid of the marks.

duke46
My Location: East Coast NC

Post by duke46 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:52 am

Automotive polishing compound may work? As you found out the wax didn't because it is non abrasive. Swirl and scratch remover may work? Just stay away from any thing that has silicon in it.
All I have said is said just for meanness so I don't have to argue with anyone!

http://www.pcitdad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tbucket
My Location: USA

Post by tbucket » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:24 am

Jay V wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:34 pm
If you are saying the wrap left marks in the powder after it was removed, I would say pop it in the oven at 250/300 or so and see if it will re-flow and get rid of the marks.
Its not marks in the powder, its like the cling wrap melted on top of the powder. It looks like glue residue that is left behind when peeling a sticker off but its not glue or adhesive so it will scratch off in some spots and feels like chalk when it does. I tried WD40 in hopes it would soak it up and release from the coated surface, but it didn't work to well, maybe if I let it soak for a bit? I think I'll try some automotive scratch and swirl remover first.

Crip75
My Location: BC Canada

Post by Crip75 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:53 pm

Chalk it up to lesson learned. And away you go. Some time life sucks :(
Do not believe all that is on the internet.

Mahatma Gandi

hjeades
My Location: Pekin, IL

Post by hjeades » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:59 am

Crip75 wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:53 pm
Chalk it up to lesson learned. And away you go. Some time life sucks :(
+1
Harley
Happiness is crusing in your street machine with a big breasted woman and a cold beer!
Definition of a Street Machine: A high horse power vehicle able to burn tires in high gear, & capable of evading high speed pursuit.
Restoration is not just a way of life, it's a way to bring new life. Save a car build a hot rod!
http://www.likenewparts.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;