Gloss black problems, need help!!!

TXPC
My Location: 76502

Gloss black problems, need help!!!

Post by TXPC » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:55 pm

Hello everyone, I'm in Texas and started Coating about a month ago. I'm shooting Gloss Black, it flowed out real nice but when I look closely at it, it looks like little cracks all over the parts. Is my powder contaminated?

For my prep work, I clean the part in a hot tank, sandblast down to bare metal, outgas twice the cure time @ 50° higher temp, then I wipe down the part with Denatured Alcohol.

duke46
My Location: East Coast NC

Re: Gloss black problems, need help!!!

Post by duke46 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:54 am

I will never understand why a coater thinks he has to wipe blasted parts down? We are not doing paint where the parts have been sanded and then you wipe them down and then prime and sand and wipe and then tack the parts down and then paint. Wiping media blasted parts then you are just asking for lint problems.

It can be hard to get a good picture of cracks but seeing it then you might get better advice? Most but not of the time when there are cracks then it has to do with under cure and the part can be cured again to proper temp and they will be gone. You need an IR gun to check part temp so if you do not have one then you can get them like at Lowe's or Home Depot. Harbor freight has the also but not sure how good they are?

As for as your outgassing then not all parts need to be outgassed unless the part was exposed to oil and grease. Steel does not need it as bad as aluminum parts might and not all of them will need outgassed.
All I have said is said just for meanness so I don't have to argue with anyone!

http://www.pcitdad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nitrous opi
My Location: Merrill

Re: Gloss black problems, need help!!!

Post by Nitrous opi » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:55 pm

Okay. One day on this site and I cannot take the volume of hobbyists talking about not wiping down after sandblasting! Seriously people! Where do you get this magic blast sand that doesn’t leave a sandy residue? I pressure wash at 3000 psi and still have to remove this garbage manually! Wtf! Okay sorry. To your concern. It reads to be a simple matter of mills. You don’t have enough;) I say this with caution not seeing the part but powder “gels” and “flows”. It may have looked coated before curing but believe me when I say black is a mother in wet or dry form. It shows your ability either way. Slow down. More time on the part is probably all you need. I’ve seen so many that will treat this like wet paint. The process may appear a lot is happening but even when you have control of your machine settings some parts will always require you to relax and give the powder a second to do what it does. If you’re doing this on a regular basis and newly learning may I suggest you coat a little and blow it off with air. Take notes adjust settings but look for it to take some effort to remove the powder even with 100 psi. This is a way I show new applicators what they are doing instead of explains what is basically unicorn magic. Good luck