Gema optiflex problem

Support & testimonies for Powder365 powder coating guns
Andre
My Location: Michigan

Gema optiflex problem

Post by Andre » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:23 pm

I recently got a refurbished optiflex system and it's been working great up until today. I have been using a 1.5lb. Fluidizing hopper. Today when shooting a part my powder stopped spraying as if the hopper was empty. It was not empty in fact over half full. If I turn the air way up it does spray powder. But if I turn it back to my preferred setting it will only spray for maybe 10 seconds before going back to only spraying air. I've cleaned out the gun and hose and pump by spraying clean air through. What is going on?

Harleydad
My Location:

Re: Gema optiflex problem

Post by Harleydad » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:04 am

Membrane in the hopper plugged? Is it only this powder that acts up? If so, the powder may have moisture in it. You could let the powder fluidize for awhile to help dry it out.
I love my country, but fear my Government

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson

I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations - James Madison

WiseAssYT
My Location: Leaps ahead of you

Post by WiseAssYT » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:00 pm

Not all powder will shoot at YOUR preferred setting rather the setting that best suits the powder ;)

Fluidizing powder will happen at different settings for different powders .

What size compressor are you running ? You have the proper air settings going in ?

Did you check the membrane like HDad said ?

Andre
My Location: Michigan

Post by Andre » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:26 am

Hey thanks for the replies,

I was shooting the same powder fine earlier in the day and that's how my preferred settings were decided. I could see moisture getting into the powder as it did sit for a few hours in the hopper. I've got a 10hp compressor with an inline refrigerated air dryer. What do you do to check the membrane? I usually spray it from both sides with clean air and call it good. Is there another cleaning technique I should use?

-Andre

WiseAssYT
My Location: Leaps ahead of you

Post by WiseAssYT » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:33 am

Your clearly new to shooting powder.

Some settings work fine for a little and you go to lunch or a break and come back to find out you need to tweak a setting or 2,, happens all the time.
Your fluidizing air if it’s not set right will give you issues,depending what or how much is in there will effect your settings.

Unless it’s misty in your shop space your powder should not have attracted any moisture in that little bit of time.

If your setting changes are minor adjustments, I wouldn’t worry , if you have to make major adjustments then I’d look for a clog.

Besides the refrigerated air dryer what type of inline filters do you have ? How clean is your air maybe you have something in your line and with out the higher pressure it can’t function normally?