Just getting started

Welcome to Powder 365
clittle97
My Location: AR

Just getting started

Post by clittle97 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:47 am

Hello to all,

Just found the site learning all kinds of stuff. I have a welding/production shop. We are liquid painting now but want to get away from that and go to powder as the liquid takes to long to cure and take up to much space. Reading on here and learning, going to start building an oven in next couple weeks needing about a 14' oven. Glad I ran across you guys and look forward to learning all I can.

WiseAssYT
My Location: Leaps ahead of you

Re: Just getting started

Post by WiseAssYT » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:26 am

Gonna build a 14' oven ? If we had a dollar every time we have heard that on here lol.
So many things wrong with that notion. From inspectors and UL listings, or power requirements and or gas lines.
How do you currently prep parts ?

Look at the entire universe , not just a star or 2.

What is your budget for your new undertaking ?

MatadorMkV
My Location: Pennsylvania

Post by MatadorMkV » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:39 am

Wow. If the items you're coating require a 14' oven, then ALL of your processes need to handle 14' as well...like your 14' booth and your 14' blast set-up and prep area. Not sure how you'll be saving space by switching to powder.

clittle97

Post by clittle97 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:59 am

My main reason for wanting to switch is speed on one of the colors I paint it takes it 2 days to cure so hoping this will speed up the process. My longest part as of right now is 10'. I am hopefully going to do all the building but have a budget of 15 to 20k.

WiseAssYT

Post by WiseAssYT » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:11 pm

clittle97 wrote:My main reason for wanting to switch is speed on one of the colors I paint it takes it 2 days to cure so hoping this will speed up the process. My longest part as of right now is 10'. I am hopefully going to do all the building but have a budget of 15 to 20k.
I would talk to your local code and building inspector . Your budget is to small not by a little either to setup an operation that can process 14' long parts . you won't be running a home built oven in a commercial location.
Your gonna need blue prints , wiring schematics , explosion proof walls,safety shut offs and on and on, and also pay for a person from the UL to inspect it , before you ever even coat a part to make money.

How do you currently clean your parts ? You'll need Clean white metal and a conversion coating of some sort to prep for powder

clittle97

Post by clittle97 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:19 pm

Right now for the liquid paint we are just using a degreaser, It is all brand new metal. Thanks for the info I have alot to learn about this, i will not for now be taking any parts from outside to coat I have way to much work for that it will be my parts only. I have a couple folks to talk to and there is a production plant not far up the road that has a very large conveyor oven that said would help me all they can.

WiseAssYT

Post by WiseAssYT » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:30 pm

When I said "coat parts for money" ,it's yours ,theirs , doesn't matter, coat any parts that will make you some sort of revenue ,wether it's money coming in ,or you not outsourcing your own .is money saved,which is money earned.
No ones ever come forward and said they got away with home built equipment that wasn't inspected by the right people, and at a cost

Just degreaser ? No rust inhibitor ?
New metal, old metal , gotta wash it and prevent it from rusting somehow.

clittle97

Post by clittle97 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:58 pm

the paint has a rust inhibitor it it. So i guess the answer would be no.

aicoatings
My Location: 08021

Post by aicoatings » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:34 pm

clittle97 wrote:My main reason for wanting to switch is speed on one of the colors I paint it takes it 2 days to cure so hoping this will speed up the process. My longest part as of right now is 10'. I am hopefully going to do all the building but have a budget of 15 to 20k.
have you tried using an exelerator additive in the paint? It speeds up curing a lot.
Last edited by aicoatings on Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

clittle97

Post by clittle97 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:49 pm

no I haven't i will try that. The guy that mixes the paint said starting with a clear base it took almost twice as much color recomended to get it to the tint my customer wants is why it takes so long to cure. I will check on that Thanks