Newbie in need of help with overspray

Welcome to Powder 365
Mramey
My Location: Oklahoma

Newbie in need of help with overspray

Post by Mramey » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:20 am

Hi everyone! My name is Monica, I'm from mustang, Oklahoma. I have been powder coating for a couple months now and haven't had too many problems until this week. My dad has built me some custom tumbler holders for powder coating the ozark stainless steel cups and they have worked great! But I ordered some new neon colors and noticed that I'm getting a HUGE cloud of powder when applying. And since I'm getting so much overspray I have had quite a few cups get coated on the inside as well. Do any of you happen to know what I could use to remove the over spray from the inside that will still make it safe to drink out of the cup after cleaned up? I've been using acetone and it worked on a lighter coated one but I have one that's not budging.

Any helpful tips would be great!

Thank you!

Monica

MatadorMkV
My Location: Pennsylvania

Re: Newbie in need of help with overspray

Post by MatadorMkV » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:58 am

Hi Monica. I'm sure you'll get other replies, but it seems as though the custom holders might need a little more customization...LOL. The powder really shouldn't be getting up inside the cup if the holder is designed properly. You might want to watch this video from Columbia JUST TO GET IDEAS...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAcZQ-e4lqo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The reason I say "just to get ideas" is because their system is rather pricey...and your dad could probably build something similar for a lot less.

As for the larger cloud, I'm guessing the neons might be finer than what you were using before...which (with all other things being equal) could result in a larger cloud. A large cloud isn't necessarily a bad thing either.

Without knowing more about your set-up, that's about the best I can do for now.

Take care,
Russ

duke46
My Location: East Coast NC

Post by duke46 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:32 am

Yep that video should help your dad a lot. So for I am coating cups right side up and using a spring loaded steel rod that I cut and bend to stay in the cup + bending a hook for hanging in one of my 30" home type oven. I am also using the wide green high temperature tape to seal it. I cut a slot in the tape to fit around the already placed rod and try to seal it with a few little pieces. The steel rod is the type used to hold up insulation under a house but they come a box with a few hundred in it. I had them left over and has come it real handy.
The only thing I have to clean is around the top edge maybe where a little powder got under the tape. I use a air dye grinder with a pad (not sanding disk) and it cleans it off ASAP.

When applying the Neon do not fill your cup up as much and turn your air down, Just adjust the air till you are happy with the cloud. Some powder need more air and some less.

Best of luck to you. :D

Oh something else that may work for you would be the use of card stock and they are 3x4". You just roll them and place in the cup and turn them loose and it will seal the sides. It worked in something I was messing with at least or you may have to get a larger piece and cut it to size. It can stay in the cup while curing it. Depending on how you do them now you maybe able to remove it before it goes in the oven if you have room to get it out?
All I have said is said just for meanness so I don't have to argue with anyone!

http://www.pcitdad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mramey
My Location: Oklahoma

Post by Mramey » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:07 pm

Thank you guys so much! I'll have to try the ideas. And I should have been more clear that none of my other colors have done the over spray inside the cup or just ran out of the gun. It is just my neon colors. I'll post a picture of my setup in a bit. My dad built that too with a hood vent and filter to catch remaining powder but it still gets everywhere! I've tried adjusting my flow but to be honest I am using a HF cheap gun so that could be my problem as well.

Wiseguyz
My Location: Fargo, ND

Post by Wiseguyz » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:46 pm

I just use a large hook and coat the cups upside down, then carefully use an air blowgun to clean out the inside of the cup before curing. I then wipe the lip and make sure there is no powder inside before it's cured. Takes a little extra time, but works well. Best of luck.

hjeades
My Location: Pekin, IL

Post by hjeades » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:35 pm

I use plugs that fit the diameter from Argon Masking then just drill a small hole thru the center feed a copper wire thru make it so the wire touches the cup and I set the whole thing on a piece of flat steel bout the size of a license plate. I cover the plate with aluminum foil this way clean up is easy the wire that goes thru the plug grounds to it and I attach a ground clamp to the plate shoot and bake. The plate makes it easy to move the cup booth to oven oven to a place to cool. Fast simple reusable.
Harley
Happiness is crusing in your street machine with a big breasted woman and a cold beer!
Definition of a Street Machine: A high horse power vehicle able to burn tires in high gear, & capable of evading high speed pursuit.
Restoration is not just a way of life, it's a way to bring new life. Save a car build a hot rod!
http://www.likenewparts.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;