Help with buildup around plugs

Welcome to Powder 365
bluesky
My Location: Washington

Help with buildup around plugs

Post by bluesky » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:22 pm

Hobbiest here. I've been powdercoating parts for quite a while, but recently have started having problems around the plugs. I clean the parts in a parts wash, then clean them again with acetone then make sure they are dry.

I notice the buildup since changing plugs. I've tried several manufactureres and they are all doing the same thing. Does anyone have any ideas what causes this?

Thanks!
Buildup.jpg
Buildup.jpg (185.6 KiB) Viewed 613 times

Jay V
My Location:

Re: Help with buildup around plugs

Post by Jay V » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:09 pm

For that issue you could use a plug that was barely tall enough and sticks up only a small amount.

A bolt usually gives a better edge, but puling the plug before curing gives the smoothest transition.

EDIT: As Wise pointed out below, could that be residue from washing or cleaning? Does the part hang with the area where the flaw is to the bottom? Are they all the same and in the same place?
Last edited by Jay V on Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

WiseAssYT
My Location: Leaps ahead of you

Post by WiseAssYT » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:15 pm

Looks like water residue is playing with you , how are you drying them ? Are you force drying compressed air into the threaded area ? Or just drying in the oven ?

Parts wash should be all you need, But honestly there is better products that you could be using that are more affordable and no aerosol can is needed , acetone is extremely flammable,harsh on internal organs and an expense you do not need , you should use it sparingly

bluesky

Post by bluesky » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:22 pm

i wash them in a parts wash with some oil eater and water then blow them off with air from the compressor. After that i wipe them down with acetone and let them set till acetone is gone. I then plug the holes and start to apply the powder. the plugs seem to repel the powder so I then have to get closer to the part for the powder to stick. then this buildup occurs. a friend keeps telling me he thinks its oil or something coming from the threaded area after the plug is pulled thru or pushed in the hole. I have only noticed this occuring since I recently changed my plugs out for new plugs. I did notice a grounding issue recently and fixed it so i can see the powder sticking to the part alot better but the issue is still around the plugs. Thanks for any help!

Jay V
My Location:

Post by Jay V » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:57 pm

bluesky wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:22 pm
i wash them in a parts wash with some oil eater and water then blow them off with air from the compressor. After that i wipe them down with acetone and let them set till acetone is gone. I then plug the holes and start to apply the powder. the plugs seem to repel the powder so I then have to get closer to the part for the powder to stick. then this buildup occurs. a friend keeps telling me he thinks its oil or something coming from the threaded area after the plug is pulled thru or pushed in the hole. I have only noticed this occuring since I recently changed my plugs out for new plugs. I did notice a grounding issue recently and fixed it so i can see the powder sticking to the part alot better but the issue is still around the plugs. Thanks for any help!
I would skip the Acetone, or wipe with Acetone first then wash. Popping the part in the oven until it's 250 or so will make sure it's completely dry inside and out. Let it cool before coating.

Try cutting the plugs so they are not sticking up much at all, then stick a piece of wire in them so you have something to grab onto to pull them out before putting the piece in the oven.

duke46
My Location: East Coast NC

Post by duke46 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:15 pm

After being stupid when I first started coating and leaving them in a few times I learned my lesson and now I pull them before they go in the oven.
If you were just applying a light coat then they could stay but by pulling them then they are easy to just blow off and ready for the next time. If you by chance are having to shoot a part hot then all bets are off unless you are shooing around 225 maybe? But after the part cools back down you can apply more powder if you think you need it and then pull the plugs.
If I am having to shoot anything hot then it will only be in Faraday areas and you want find threaded holes or very little if any to have to worry about. Let the part cool down and finish your shoot or place your plugs and shoot and then pull them. That has worked for me for over 10 years :D
All I have said is said just for meanness so I don't have to argue with anyone!

http://www.pcitdad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bluesky

Post by bluesky » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:53 am

I will try and bake them first to dry them out better and see if that helps with the issue. I will also try cutting the plugs to fit the hole more flush and see if that helps. Any other ideas as to why my plugs would be so difficult to coat around would be greatly appreciated! Thanks again for all the help!

Jay V
My Location:

Post by Jay V » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:16 pm

bluesky wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:53 am
I will try and bake them first to dry them out better and see if that helps with the issue. I will also try cutting the plugs to fit the hole more flush and see if that helps. Any other ideas as to why my plugs would be so difficult to coat around would be greatly appreciated! Thanks again for all the help!
They are not conductive, and the powder also want to bounce off of them.

Typical issues when using plugs.

Bolts are better.

WiseAssYT
My Location: Leaps ahead of you

Post by WiseAssYT » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:21 pm

I’d say it’s the limitations of whatever unit your using .

I’ve never used a hobby gun so my experience is strictly using higher end units and I’ve never had an ongoing issue of not being able to completely cover a part ,plugs and caps completely with powder , conductive or not.

I do find touching or pinching the hook and shooting the part at the same time helps . If I’m having the rare attraction issue from faraday areas or the powder boogieman lol...

But want to add a small cloud will also cause powder not to stick also , but in this case I’d bet it’s whatever pc gun your using , care to tell us which unit your using?

bluesky

Post by bluesky » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:59 pm

I AM USING THE EASTWOOD DUAL VOLTAGE GUN. I ALSO USE EASTWOOD PLUGS. I RECENTLY PURCHASED ARGON PLUGS WHICH DO THE SAME THING.