Cerakote for frame?

pavetim
My Location: japan

Cerakote for frame?

Post by pavetim » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:41 pm

What do you think about cerakote a dirtbike frame black? I imagine it's way more abrasion resistant than powder coat? I know it's a lot more money but I can't keep pulling the bike apart to re coat of powder coat wears off. Really want to try fluro or hybrid PC but cannot find

duke46
My Location: East Coast NC

Re: Cerakote for frame?

Post by duke46 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:18 am

Powder would be way more durable than Cerakote. It is made more for protection than durability as for as what you must be putting your bike through.

Super durable powders hold up better abuse wise than normal ones do. They may be something you might look into but not very many colors to pick from. Allpowderpaints might have the most colors but all I use of them is white.

There are other powders that are also made for abuse but mainly come in black and used a lot in the commercial area at plants and dock hand rails and also for things like bike racks where you park your bike like in a park or even on racks for 4 wheelers. Like the Plasti-Sol Rubber Coatings that he sales but only comes in black and white. You have to make sure it is keep in a humidity controlled area like maybe in your house because if humidity get to it then it is very hard to shoot. Ask me how I know. Not sure what happen but my humidity got to high where I keep all my powders and did not hurt any of them except that one?? It does hold up real well.

I guess that is about all the advice I can give you. We have some dirt bike guys on here that race them so maybe they can chime in but I bet they will want to know what kind of surfaces you are riding on.
All I have said is said just for meanness so I don't have to argue with anyone!

http://www.pcitdad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Intow
My Location: USA

Cerakote for frame?

Post by Intow » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:55 am

LineX it. Can't take that stuff off with a grinder lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pavetim
My Location: japan

Post by pavetim » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:02 am

I want semi gloss black and I'm doing whole frame and swingarm, not doing in line x. Line x would be great where my boots rub so maybe I'll look into that plus would add grip too

jtsmith
My Location: Humboldt, KS

Post by jtsmith » Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:20 pm

Try S&S wrinkle black.

From about 5 feet it looks like satin black, the finish is not really a wrinkle at all, more of a series of small beads. I have found it to hold up to off roading accessories very well. I think it is due to the "beads" in the surface acting as bearings-allowing abrasive actions to slide more than scrape. If this makes sense. It has enough gloss to it that it cleans off well too.

Just a suggestion.
You oughtta see what's in my garage, man is she hot!

Chrisyeager12

Post by Chrisyeager12 » Fri May 05, 2017 11:32 am

Intow wrote:LineX it. Can't take that stuff off with a grinder lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Having that current problem on the bottom of a 1968 Ford Mustang... Some idiot used a Liner Variant Product and We tried grinding it off to just get to metal to weld on some independent suspension... So far we've had to chemical strip then use pudgy knifes to peel.