B17 on engine parts

All topics related to stripping techniques
diaz1510
My Location: 95662

B17 on engine parts

Post by diaz1510 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:00 am

OK, first time B17 user, so be gentle, LOL.

I got a pretty good setup for stripping and rinsing. I'll be stripping a bunch of motorcycle parts but my question is regarding the engine components. Specifically the cylinder jugs of a Harley Twin Cam. I know it will strip the powder coat just fine, but my concern is the interior of the cylinder jugs. If I dunk it just long enough to strip the powder and rinse it thoroughly, will the cylinder interior be fine without having to hone them or anything? Or would I be better off brushing this stuff on? Everything is aluminum, except for the cylinder liner.

Thanks in advance.

ZX10
My Location: 08302

Re: B17 on engine parts

Post by ZX10 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:16 am

It’s gonna Rust, but if you rinse and dry it quickly it will be fine then after coating just use some wd40/oil something to Coat the sleeve until you get it back together..

Jay V
My Location:

Post by Jay V » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:15 am

As Herb said - it will flash rust no matter what.

Don't sweat the time in the stripper, that's not what causes it to rust. You want to give it plenty of time so you don't have to work to get the coating off as you are rinsing. I use a pressure washer. It won't start to flash rust until you wash it, and it won't do that immediately either.

Rinse it well. Any B17 that is left on the steel will cause more flash rusting as it dries.

Wipe the bore dry immediately, but I would put anything on it until after it's coated.

hjeades
My Location: Pekin, IL

Post by hjeades » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:17 pm

Probably to late but I would run them thru a oven cycle to bake out any oil and or stripper that might have seeped in between the cylinder sleeve and the cylinder housing. I know most will say never gunna happen but I have had many times oil bake out once heated. Weird I know but better safe than sorry.
Harley
Happiness is crusing in your street machine with a big breasted woman and a cold beer!
Definition of a Street Machine: A high horse power vehicle able to burn tires in high gear, & capable of evading high speed pursuit.
Restoration is not just a way of life, it's a way to bring new life. Save a car build a hot rod!
http://www.likenewparts.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;